Monday, February 8, 2016

Holy Cow!

Ate a cow this week. Not like a burger, or a steak, or ribs or anything, but a full on cow. On Friday, we ran into the branch pres in the street, and he said, "I think we´re gonna eat the asado tonight." Elder Walker and I had no clue what he was talking about, and thought he was just joking and trying to get our hopes up to tear them down. So we played along, and found out he was serious. The other Elder´s had sweet talked their way into getting us an asado. We didn´t up eating the asado on Friday, but we did on Saturday. Not just any asado either, but literally every part of the cow. Intestines (large and small), stomach, heart, kidneys, and appendix (we would have eaten the brain, but, president dropped it in the dirt, so we left it there for the dogs, several dogs sniffed it, but none seemed to be starving enough to eat brain, so the flies did). I say "Holy Cow" because it was bought and cut up by the branch pres, and cooked and prepared by missionaries. Unfortunately, I forgot my camera, so I´ll send a pic next week after the other Elder´s give us the pic.

Taught a total of 4 lessons sitting down this week. So we contacted a ton. Found a lot of crazy people. One guy in particular said, "There are 3 Bibles. 1. The Bible you two have. 2. The Bible the Catholics have. 3. The Bible the Roman Catholics have. Which one is the true and real Bible?" We didn´t really know how to answer that, so he went on to tell us that we don´t believe in God because we didn´t know what to say to that question, and then to explain how the Bible written in stone that the Roman Catholics have is the true Bible, and again how we don´t believe in God, and his wife was saying "amen" and "that´s the truth" every few words that he said. 

Talked to one lady who was really surprised when we started talking because she had thought Mormons can´t talk to people with dark skin. She seemed really interesed in our message though.

In other news, it was really hot this week. It´s really weird to see pics of state-side missionaries bundled up in coats with scarves and snow pants, with snow blowing all around them. Down here, we are always wet, weather or not it´s raining. Not really sure what to think of the rain, because it feels really nice outside while it´s raining, but, after the rain, we get totally slammed with humidity. I guess I´m really glad that when they split this mission in July, they cut out the really humid parts of provincia Santa Fe and all of provincia Entre Rios (which, as the name suggests, is filled with rivers and the humidity levels never dip below 90%).

Taught Lorena Avalos (the lady that got baptized my second week here) with the Branch Pres´s wife and his niece (an RM), and wow, girls talk alot. They talked for 75 minutes without even a 15 secod pause anywhere before Elder Walker or I said anything. Then, when we started to teach, Elder Walker and I said about 10 minutes worth of stuff, and they said about 45 minutes worth of stuff. I suppose that´s good though, it´s better for recent converts to develop solid relationships with members than listen to missionaries that they already are close to.

The mission is a really insane place. I am about 100% sure, that there is no other setting in the world where middle aged men and women open up and tell 18 year old kids about all their problems, and expect these 18 year olds to know how to help them. During this last week and a half, we saw more than one full grown adult (meaning someone much older than us) totally open up and bawl while tellling us about their difficulties in life, all of these instances happened just from street contacts. One such was a lady who I had just thought was a nut. I had always seen her yelling at one kid and dragging the other kid by the had whilst that kids was kicking and screaming. I really got humbled when she started crying though, and I realized that it´s not important to God if someone´s got a few screws loose, cuz they still have problems and challenges in life, and God loves them just as much as he loves me.

Speaking of that love he has for me, a popular hymn has been in my mind a lot this week. It goes, 
1. I stand all amazed at the love Jesus offers me,
Confused at the grace that so fully he proffers me.
I tremble to know that for me he was crucified,
That for me, a sinner, he suffered, he bled and died.
[Chorus]
Oh, it is wonderful that he should care for me
Enough to die for me!
Oh, it is wonderful, wonderful to me!
2. I marvel that he would descend from his throne divine
To rescue a soul so rebellious and proud as mine,
That he should extend his great love unto such as I,
Sufficient to own, to redeem, and to justify.
3. I think of his hands pierced and bleeding to pay the debt!
Such mercy, such love and devotion can I forget?
No, no, I will praise and adore at the mercy seat,
   Until at the glorified throne I kneel at his feet.
It really amazes me the love Jesus has for and offers me. Even with all my sins, all my shortcomings, and all my dumb choices that I make, he still loves me more than I can imagine, and is too merciful with me. Even when I feel like I mess up big time, I still feel his merciful hand lift me up and provide a way. Sometimes I wish I could do better and help more people, but, I feel like the harder I work, the harder the hearts of the people get, and the less I can do to help. Oh well, Just gotta keep pushing and working and loving

Anyways, hope you all have a great week up there in the nice cool air, without crazy mosquito viruses. Hasta luego!

Elder Brown

Mosiah 28:3-4

No comments:

Post a Comment